St John runs the ambulance service under an agreement with the Department of Health.
St John PNG has:
- Five vehicles in Port Moresby;
- One vehicle in Central province (Kupiano district);
- One vehicle in East Spiek (based in Wewak);
- One vehicle in Oro province (Popendetta)
- One vehicle in Madang (based in Mandang)
St John Ambulances are operated by qualified Ambulance Officers who have undertaken Advanced First Aid training alongside additional training in Basic Ambulance Care.
The following ambulance services are provided free:
- Emergency response
- Children under five years old
- Persons over 50 years old
- Police cases
- Mother in labour
- Urban clinical referrals with NCD
Non-Emergency cases are charged a nominal fee.
How to call for an ambulance
When you call for an ambulance, remember to do the following...
- Dial 111
- Tell us you want an ambulance.
- Tell us where you are so we can dispatch an ambulance to you immediately. Street name, suburb & nearest landmark.
- Tell us who you are & give you phone number. This will give us the means of ringing you back for more information to locate you.
- Tell us what happened.
You can call this emergency number 24 hours a day, seven days a week from any phone, including a mobile phone. If you have run out of credits, you can still phone 111 and you will be connected.