24 hours a day, seven days a week, when you need us most.
HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid (Provide advanced first aid)
St John’s HLTAID006 Provide Advanced First Aid is appropriate for people who work in high risk areas, act as first aiders to larger facilities or groups, or work in areas where help may be delayed or have difficulty accessing casualties. This course covers a broad range of advanced skills and provides you with high level skills in management of large incidents, major trauma, sudden cardiac arrest, emotionally disturbed and drug affected casualties.
Who this course is recommended for:
• First aiders in medium to high risk organisations.
St John Ambulance recommends that you refresh your first aid training every 12 months. This is also in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines that state CPR skills should be refreshed annually.
Course Duration: 2 hours
This course is not available to international students (this includes dependants who are in Australia under the holder of the International Student Visa)
This course covers the following
3 days + eLearning
- Major trauma management
- Use of spine boards and stretchers
- Managing emotionally disturbed casualties
- Pulse, blood pressure and pupil reactions
- Clinical assessments
- Pain management
- Body systems
- Drug and alcohol affected casualties
- DRSABCD action plan
- Infection control
- Automated external defibrillation (AED)
- Soft bag resuscitation
- Adminstration of oxygen
- Oxygen delivery systems
- Oxygen powered resuscitation
- Oropharyngeal airways
- Suction equipment
- Post incident stress management
- HLTAID001 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID002 -Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID003 -Provide first aid
- HLTAID006 -Provide advanced first aid
- HLTAID007 -Provide advanced resuscitation
Training materials provided
First aid publications, bandages and plastic CPR wallet card.
Recommended recertification period
St John Ambulance recommends, as per the First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practice and the Australia Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines, that first aid skills are renewed every three years and resuscitation skills (HLTAID001/HLTAID007), are renewed every 12 months.
Recommended product / First aid kits
- Keyring face shield or face mask
- Medium or Large Leisure Kit
- Standard or Medium Workplace Kit
- Oxygen resuscitation pack
- Adult silicon resuscitators
- Automated external defibrillator