24 hours a day, seven days a week, when you need us most.
How to help in an emergency situation
When to call an ambulance?
When an untrained person moves or transports someone that is badly injured it can make their injuries worse and delay emergency first aid treatment.
Calling an ambulance is important in an emergency when someone is sick or badly injured.
You can call St John ambulance free from any landline or mobile phone in PNG – simply dial 111.
Medical emergencies include:
- Faint, collapse or unconscious
- Severe breathing problems / severe asthma
- Chest pain
- Bleeding that is severe and cannot be controlled
- Broken leg
- Person is badly injured
- Motor vehicle collision
How to call an ambulance:Dial 111 or 303 1000 The call-taker will ask you questions. Be prepared to answer.
- What is the location of the emergency? Be prepared to give the exact address, e.g. street name and nearby landmarks e.g. SP Brewery building
- What is the telephone number from which you are calling?
- What has happened?
- How old is the patient?
- Is the patient awake?
- Is the patient breathing?