24 hours a day, seven days a week, when you need us most.
HLTAID003 Provide first aid (Provide first aid)
St John Provide First Aid is a comprehensive course that will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to help an ill or injured person until emergency help arrives. You will learn the DRSABCD action plan as well as resuscitation (Including defibrillation), asthma, anaphylaxis and the management of various injuries and illnesses.
Who this course is recommended for:
• Anyone wanting to learn essential first aid skills; and
• Those wanting a first aid certificate for work purposes.
St John Ambulance recommends that you refresh your first aid training every 12 months. This is in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines that state CPR skills should be refreshed annually.
This course is not available to international students (this includes dependants who are in Australia under the holder of the International Student Visa)
Course Duration: 2 hours
This course covers the following:
The two (2) day face-to-face course includes demonstration, practise and assessment of knowledge and performance of skills.
Participants must answer fifty-seven (57) quiz questions during the course that covers:
- State/Territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures;
- Legal, workplace and community considerations;
- Considerations when providing first aid and resuscitation;
- Principles and procedures for first aid management; and
- Basic anatomy and physiology.
Participants must respond to at least two (2) simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to their workplace or community setting, including:
- At at least two (2) minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on an adult resuscitation manikin on the floor; and
- Bleeding control.
Apply first aid procedures for the following Skill Tasks:
- At at least two (2) minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on an Infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface;
- Allergic reaction;
- Choking and airway obstruction;
- Envenomation, using pressure immobilisation;
- Fractures, sprains and strains, using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation techniques;
- Respiratory distress, including Asthma;
The HLTAID003 Provide first aid Unit of Competency standard requires a level of physical ability to meet the evidence requirements for assessment. These standards relate to the level of performance required to provide resuscitation and respond to an emergency situation where there may be risk to life.
Due to the potential risk to health and safety where a nominated first aider, or worker with duty of care, does not have the ability to perform resuscitation and/or first aid to the performance standard it is not appropriate to issue a statement of attainment to students who are physically unable to meet the assessment requirements.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
This course also encompasses the following units of competency:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support.